• Temporary residents & superannuation

  • If you're a temporary resident you may be able to claim any eligible superannuation savings you accumulate while working in Australia (less any tax).

    To claim your super benefits, all of the following criteria must apply:

    • You visited on a temporary visa (excluding visa subclasses 405 and 410)
    • Your visa has ceased to be in effect (expired or cancelled)
    • You have left Australia.

    There may also be some exceptions where you can claim your super without leaving the country e.g. if you retired or became totally and permanently disabled before 1 April 2009.

  • Claiming your superannuation

    • Once you leave Australia, you can claim your super via a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP). In most cases your benefit will be taxed at 38%.

      To claim your superannuation benefits, please complete the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP) online application form at the Australian ATO website which you can download at the below link. We will also request a certified copy of your current passport once your application is received.

      If you don’t apply for your superannuation benefit within six months of leaving Australia, we must send your account balance to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). 

      Under Australian Securities and Investments Commission relief, we do not have to give you an exit statement if we pay your benefit to the ATO. Once transferred, you will need to contact the ATO to claim your benefit.

      You won’t be able to claim a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP) if you’re an:

      • Australian citizen
      • New Zealand citizen
      • Permanent Australian resident
      • Retirement visa holder
      • Investor retirement visa holder.

      If you’re in one of the above categories, you have the right to retire in Australia, so you can’t claim a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP). However, if you’re a New Zealand citizen who’s leaving Australia permanently, you may be able to transfer your super to New Zealand (see below).

  • Transferring your Australian superannuation to a KiwiSaver account

      • Are you a New Zealand citizen?
      • Are you planning on leaving Australia and moving permanently or indefinitely to New Zealand?

      If you answered yes to both questions above, you’re eligible to transfer the retirement savings in your Australian Catholic Superannuation account to a New Zealand KiwiSaver account under the Trans-Tasman retirement savings portability scheme.

      If you don't already have a KiwiSaver account, you can open one subject to meeting eligibility requirements.

      To process your transfer request, you’ll need to provide us with a completed KiwiSaver transfer request form (PDF), including:

      • Written confirmation that your nominated KiwiSaver scheme will accept your transfer and
      • Certified evidence of your departure from Australia.

      Once you’ve provided us with all the necessary details, the Trustee must transfer your super savings to the KiwiSaver account within 30 days.

      Australian funds transferred to New Zealand:

      • Can only be transferred from complying super funds regulated by APRA 
      • Can’t be accessed until you reach age 60 and you satisfy the Australian definition of retirement at that age
      • Can’t be used to purchase your first home
      • Can’t be transferred to a third country.

      For more information on transferring your retirement savings between Australian and New Zealand visit the ATO website.

  • Bookmark and Share