• Finding your lost superannuation

  • Find lost and unclaimed super
  • Could you have lost track of your money with other super funds?

    This is quite possible if you have:

    • Changed jobs in the past and did not keep your existing account
    • Changed your name for any reason e.g. by marriage
    • Changed your address and your previous super funds could no longer contact you.

    According to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), there are billions of dollars sitting in lost and unclaimed super accounts waiting for Australians to claim the money—some of it could belong to you! If you don't take action to find your super:

    • You could be paying thousands of dollars in unnecessary account fees and insurance premiums
    • The account/s could be transferred to the ATO without your consent and you'll miss out on the benefit of future compounding investment returns.

    What is lost super?

    Your super fund will report you as a lost member to the ATO if it:

    • Hasn't been able to contact you and has not received any contributions or rollover amounts for you in the past 12 months
    • Hasn't received any contributions or rollover amounts for you in the last five years, or
    • Received your super money after being transferred as a lost member account from another fund and no new address has been found.

    In these cases, the ATO maintains a register of reported lost members, but the super fund still holds your monies.

    What is unclaimed super?

    A super fund has to pay unclaimed superannuation money to the ATO where an account is held by a lost member and:

    • The balance is less than $2,000, or
    • The fund hasn't received an amount in respect of the member within the past 12 months and the fund, given the information reasonably available, is satisfied that it will never be possible to pay an amount to the member.

    Super funds must also pay member accounts to the ATO as unclaimed superannuation money in the following circumstances where:

    • A member is aged 65 or older and the super fund hasn't received an amount on behalf of the member for more than two years, and the super fund has not been able to contact the member after the end of a period of five years, after making reasonable efforts to do so.
    • A member dies, and there is a benefit immediately payable for the member, and the super fund has not received an amount on behalf of the member for more than two years, and the super fund is unable to locate the person entitled to the deceased member’s benefit.
    • A non-member spouse is entitled to be paid an amount from the super account as a result of a payment split, and the fund is unable to locate the spouse entitled to receive the benefit after making reasonable efforts and after a reasonable period has passed.
    • A former temporary resident is the owner of the super account.

    Don’t worry if you haven’t kept track of your multiple super accounts. There are various ways to search for your super and you can get unclaimed super back from the ATO at any time.

  • We can help you find your super

    The good news is that there is no need for you to pay someone else to locate your super, or to do all the hard work yourself.

    Australian Catholic Superannuation can help you find any lost or unclaimed super accounts you may have—for free!

    To do this, we will need your:

    1. Tax file number (TFN)
    2. Authority to search the ATO's super register.

    Simply download and complete our Super search authority form (PDF), then send this back to us and we’ll take care of the rest for you.

    What happens when we find your super?

    When we conduct a super search on your behalf, in addition to lost or unclaimed accounts, we may also find other active super accounts in your name.

    Whatever super accounts we discover, we’ll report back to you.

    We can then also help you consider the option to consolidate your super (including the opportunity to transfer any existing insurance cover) into your current Australian Catholic Superannuation account.

  • Other free lost superannuation services

    There are a number of other free services available to help you in your search for lost, unclaimed and active super accounts:


    For a full view of your super create an online myGov account and link it to the ATO.

    • See details of all your super accounts, including any you've lost track of or forgotten about.
    • Find ATO-held super—if the government, your super fund or your employer can't find an account to transfer your super to, the ATO will hold it on your behalf.
    • Combine multiple super accounts by transferring your super into your preferred super account. 

    ATO SuperSeeker

    Visit the ATO’s SuperSeeker website. This will allow you to conduct a quick search on all lost super accounts held in your name. You'll need to provide your name, date of birth and tax file number (TFN).

    Alternatively, you can call the ATO and either use their 24-hour self-help phone service or ask for someone to run through the process for you.

    Please note that this service is due to be decommissioned in December 2015.


    AUSfund is used by many industry funds for lost members.

    To search you will need your name and date of birth. As some accounts may be lost due to data entry errors, you may want to try searching using common variations of your name and just your first initial.

    If a suspected match is made, you will be asked to provide more information, such as your previous address/es and details of your current super account.

    Other super services

    There are several other large eligible rollover funds where your lost super may have been transferred. To check these, contact:

    ̶  Supertrace by calling 1300 788 750 or visiting the Supertrace website

    ̶  Super Safeguard by calling 1300 135 181 or visiting the Super Safeguard website.

  • Download

  • Simple ways to keep your account active

    Login to your online account to:

    • Provide us with your email address

    • Check that your other contact details are up-to-date

    • Make sure we have your tax file number (TFN) to avoid paying unnecessary tax

    • Nominate your beneficiaries

    • Review and update your insurance cover

    • Assess your investment choices.